Xine-backend doesn't work with PulseAudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 24 22:08:10 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 24/05/10 19:37 did gyre and gimble:
> On 05/24/2010 05:25 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 22/05/10 14:31 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Is there a way I can convince Phonon to play sound with the Xine-backend
>>> through PulseAudio?  There's no sound at all and systemsettings only
>>> lists a single device (CA0106 Soundblaster Analog Stereo).  I would have
>>> expected it to mention PulseAudio there, but it doesn't.
>>
>> I believe what you see in System Settings *is* the device as dictated by
>> PulseAudio (the user is not generally exposed to PulseAudio but it does
>> work and powers the device listings and preferences etc).
>
> The thing is, if I login to KDE with a newly created user, it says
> "PulseAudio".  If I login with my regular user, it only lists the ALSA
> device :-/  I suppose that means that the new user uses PA directly,
> while my regular user uses PA only through ALSA, not directly.

If it just says only "PulseAudio" with no other entries, this is a
"degraded" mode of PulseAudio support. Essentially this means that the
script "start-pulseaudio-kde" was not run at startup for some reason.

If your user sees a real alsa device, then your user has disabled
PulseAudio, but as I said above, I suspect the device name that you have
given *IS* coming from pulseaudio and is *NOT* and alsa device.

Please read and digest the information I wrote up recently here if you
want to understand how things are working:

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

Col

--

Colin Guthrie