Amarok + PulseAudio: volume control changes global volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jun 23 13:01:22 BST 2010

On 06/23/2010 02:56 PM, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at arcor.de>  wrote:
>> My MSN client doesn't offer any kind of volume adjustment, so I don't
>> see how PA can help here.  If I lower the volume of Amarok, it lowers my
>> sound card's volume, which in turns lowers my MSN client's volume, which
>> achieves nothing compared to what I wanted to achieve: Amarok having a
>> much lower volume than my MSN client.
>
> It won't lower your sound card volume below what it was before.

It does.  I have it set to 100% (0dB).  When I start Amarok and change
the volume there, Amarok's volume control changes my sound card volume
to the same percentage.

Oh, and vice versa too!  If I change the "Master" volume in KMix or
alsamixer, Amarok's volume control changes too!  They're really linked.
  And nobody, really really nobody can convince me that this is the
right thing to do.  Because if it is, you can actually drop the volume
control from Amarok completely; it's just the same as altering "Master"
in KMix.