Help getting experimental phonon work

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Sat Jun 12 16:09:12 BST 2010

On Friday 11 June 2010 15:50:27 Miguel José Álvarez Prieto wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to develop an application to process video while it is
> being played. I mean, process frame by frame before its presentation using
> the gpu. Something very similar to what quasar does. I have donwloaded
> quasar source code and built it without problems, but I can not get it to
> work, neither my own code.

Hmm, seems like the video data output stuff has been broken. I remember looking
into this with the Xine backend some time ago, but I don't remember my
conclusion... :<
I'll check out quasar myself, and try to get it working, and maybe fix the
Phonon unit tests, so we can discover stuff like this earlier in the future.
:-)

> If I build phonon from source code (version 4.4.1 or 4.4.2), any
> application that uses phonon chrashes wit a segfault.

That shouldn't be happening. :-)
(There shouldn't be any special steps involved in building and installing
Phonon, except for distro-specific quirks, I guess.)

Do you have a backtrace?

> Any help on how to solve the problem mentioned above or how to correctly
> build and get working a new version of phonon would be very appreciated.
> These are my first steps developing with kde technology, I am very excited
> about it and hope one day I will can contribute.

:-D

> Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.

Your english is much better than mine, I think, so nothing to excuse yourself
for ;-)

--
Martin T. Sandsmark
Phonon Maintainer