knotify and libcanberra Re: KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Dec 4 03:32:14 GMT 2010

On Friday, December 03, 2010 21:19:44 Ian Monroe wrote:
> Well the point here is that libcanberra already does this.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't tooled around with multimedia stuff in awhile so
I have no good technical opinion of the merits of libcanberra versus
modification of existing KDE platforms. I was just pointing out another option
regarding the sample caching being discussed although honestly I'm not sure
that caching sounds is general-purpose enough to be embedded all the way into
Phonon. It seems that the uses would be limited to notifications and games,
and games should probably be using OpenAL.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne