Progressive download in Phonon

Jonathan Wong jhannwong at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 04:21:15 BST 2009

Hi Michael,

> Also, when replying to mails on the mailing lists it is considered much more
> polite to avoid "top-posting" (i.e. if you're replying to something, quote it
> first, then make your response).  I know that GMail/Outlook/etc. default to
> doing it wrong, so if you use those you'll just have to get used to it I
> guess. :-/

I do do that, quote first reply later. But sometimes when I only need to reply to a single section
of a post, or when the post only has a single point, I top-post (which is Thunderbird's default?).
Lazy. :P

I'll avoid top-posting from now on. Yeah, it does say "I'm lazy to quote you first". Sorry.

> As far as reviews goes, sometimes you have to be persistent.  It's
> like this on most any open-source project I've watched, especially
> an issue for kde- multimedia given that we're pretty much all doing
> this in our spare time with "real jobs" that take first priority.

Yes, I understand. Been writing on, and using, open source tech for some time, been on lists and
forums.

All projects are different. Some projects are more active than others, esp when the authors' real
jobs are very linked to the projects themselves.

You're right, I have to be persistent. Which is why I persistently asked "can I submit"? :P And
here you are, noticing me. :)

> I know that my personal filing system is not good enough to keep
> track of patches that I thought were interesting 4 weeks ago

Then it's my job to keep "pinging" you until you notice my patch. Communication is a 2-way thing.
Even if kde-multimedia is our real job, and we're in separate departments! :)

> Of course should you get past the "I have a patch" process and start
> doing Phonon/kde-multimedia work yourself then you'll be able to do
> progressively harder tasks with less review necessary as your level
> of knowledge grows.

Yeah, been through that. Still love it, jumping in to help, and getting more and more accepted
gradually. (Sure beats trying to chat up girls at parties. :P Haha.)

> Also don't be afraid to hop onto IRC (irc.freenode.org).  #kde-devel
> is used for general KDE *development* questions.  There is
> #kde-multimedia as well, and #amarok is probably the single largest
> user of KDE multimedia frameworks so they may be able to help you
> out with their experience as well.

That's exactly what I need, others' experience and knowledge to review my patches. If I'm gonna
invent a new wheel, it should serve as much good as possible, not just my own.

Thanks!

Regards
Jonathan

PS: I often dispense with formalities like "Hi" and "Regards" to keep my noise minimal on lists.
Is that ok here?