Progressive download in Phonon

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Sat Jun 6 17:13:48 BST 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009 10:20:40 Jonathan Wong wrote:
> I need reviews. How can my patches be approved without discussion with
> community needs?

See below.

> I can commit? That's not good. I would hope the git is clean and tightly
> monitored, especially so if there are very frequent commits.

Well you'd need to have a developer account first of course (which comes from
submitting patches, which you've done, and having them applied, which we have
not helped you with :-/)

Also, when replying to mails on the mailing lists it is considered much more
polite to avoid "top-posting" (i.e. if you're replying to something, quote it
first, then make your response).  I know that GMail/Outlook/etc. default to
doing it wrong, so if you use those you'll just have to get used to it I
guess. :-/

As far as reviews goes, sometimes you have to be persistent.  It's like this
on most any open-source project I've watched, especially an issue for kde-
multimedia given that we're pretty much all doing this in our spare time with
"real jobs" that take first priority.  I know that my personal filing system is
not good enough to keep track of patches that I thought were interesting 4
weeks ago when I didn't have time, so sometimes you'll have to re-submit.  Of
course should you get past the "I have a patch" process and start doing
Phonon/kde-multimedia work yourself then you'll be able to do progressively
harder tasks with less review necessary as your level of knowledge grows.

I hope this helps.  In short: Just submit the patch, worry about whether it
will get reviewed or not after it's submitted. ;)

Also don't be afraid to hop onto IRC (irc.freenode.org).  #kde-devel is used
for general KDE *development* questions.  There is #kde-multimedia as well,
and #amarok is probably the single largest user of KDE multimedia frameworks
so they may be able to help you out with their experience as well.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne