[Phonon][Patch] add a method to get the current frame number

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 11:15:04 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Matthias Kretz <kretz at kde.org> wrote:
> >  Perhaps it should be called currentVideoFrame() since there are also
> > audio frames (just 48000 per second instead of ~25). And I omitted
> > "Number" to not make the function name too long.
>
> I think term Number is good since currentVideoFrame() can "mean" something
> else like:
> qint64 videoFrameId = obj->currentVideoFrame();
> or
> VideoFrame videoFrame = obj->currentVideoFrame();
> videoFrame->size();
>
> Why not Nb?
> Number is used by Qt API, not Nb
> cf http://doc.trolltech.com/main-snapshot/functions.html
>
> >  Other functions that could be added later are:
> >  qint64 videoFrameCount()
> >  void seekToVideoFrame(qint64)
>
> seekToVideoFrameNumber()
> to make it symmetric, even a longer name :/

The rule is to not use abreviations in class/function names. And with 'Number'
it really gets long. More general idea:

enum Timecode
{
    SmpteTimecode,
    VideoFrameNumber,
    AudioFrameNumber,
    Microseconds,
    Milliseconds,
    Seconds
};

ok, that's pushing it a bit, but I just tried to come up with a little more
than two entries :-)

class MediaObject
{
    <some type> currentTime(Timecode) const;
    <some type> totalTime(Timecode) const;
    void seek(Timecode, <some type>);
    <some type> convertTimecodeTo(Timecode, <some type>);
};

Where <some type> could either be quint64, QVariant or a more
specialized/simple class (don't know SMPTE well enough).

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de