Choosing a Phonon backend

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 16:39:27 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:
> Plus it's not clear to me why the user should care what backend is
> being used.

usually they shouldn't and the system should provide sane defaults.

the overall system (e.g. phonon) should be able to guess this best, the user
might be able to provide some good old fashioned
human-knows-better-than-the-computer, but the application is probably the
least equipped to make such decisions. it's also a recipe for subtle
inconsistencies between apps (where do you set this in FooApp, BarApp, etc)

imho, phonon should orchestrate all of this and the app should stay out of the
way.

if the use case is, "but my application requires the following N attributes
from the backend" then maybe phonon needs a way to resolve such requests
internally. that doesn't require the apps having any say over the actual
backend selection, however.

> I mean if apps can choose "incompatible mechanisms", which
> stops the user from doing so?

trial and error, most likely .. and at least this way the settings are in one
place, not scattered randomly through apps and are gauranteed to be
configurable versus the well meaning "nope, you're going to use backend $FOO
with my app" developer.

every time an app requires a given backend, that's a failing in phonon imho.
the xine backend is a good example of that, and afaik, is being addressed.

really, all the of the above are pretty basic framework design concepts.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se