Choosing a Phonon backend

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Mar 28 14:06:43 GMT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>  that said, having to configure this in every app would be Evil(tm) and having
>  apps override my preferences would be Evil^2. that's just asking for really
>  bad situations where apps choose incompatible mechanisms, which is one of the
>  problems phonon is actually *solving* ;)

I'm not sure that UI guidelines are best enforced by API edicts
though. Especially for non-K Desktop Environment platforms.

Plus it's not clear to me why the user should care what backend is
being used. I mean if apps can choose "incompatible mechanisms", which
stops the user from doing so? I don't even know what that would be.

Ian