Choosing a Phonon backend

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 09:37:08 GMT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  MPlayer does not handle DVD menus, VLC does. From the video app it
> >  would be nice to say "for DVD playback I prefer the VLC backend and
> >  for others videos I prefer MPlayer" or "for .mov files I prefer
> >  MPlayer, for the rest VLC".
>
> Yikes.  Please think of the user here too.  Choosing one backend is
> obtuse enough
> for most users.  Choosing multiple backends depending on the source
> requires all sorts of extra knowledge on top of that (which backend
> supports which feature?).
> On top of that, the UI to configure this will certainly not be nice.
>
> Definitely would be nice to have the ability to choose backends from
> the code, but
> this is really not the sort of thing that should be exposed to the
> user (aside from the
> global choice in KDE).

well, a UI solution is already there: in the phonon kcm the user may already
select what input/output devices to use depending on the media  *use case*,
with a global setting as well...

using this exactly same set up for selecting the backend would probably work
(there's already a backend tab). drilling down to mimetype is probably
overkill, however.

that said, having to configure this in every app would be Evil(tm) and having
apps override my preferences would be Evil^2. that's just asking for really
bad situations where apps choose incompatible mechanisms, which is one of the
problems phonon is actually *solving* ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se