Choosing a Phonon backend

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri Mar 21 13:23:37 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008 12:28:06 Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> Up, some ideas?
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone
> >
> >  I'm creating a Phonon backend for MPlayer based on SMPlayer source
> >  code (slave mode).
> >  For the moment I have nothing to show (I develop under Windows using
> >  Phonon from Qt 4.4.0 beta1).
> >
> >  While reading Phonon source code (factory.cpp
> >  FactoryPrivate::createBackend()), I noticed that there is no way to
> >  choose the backend (at least the version without DBus).
> >  There are Xine, GStreamer and maybe one day MPlayer backend and others
> >  under Linux, I think it would be nice for the application (or the
> >  user) to set the preferred backend.
> >
> >  Is it a feature plan for the future?

There is a control panel to configure phonon and select the backend.
So the user can choose.

Still, given the different feature set of the various backends, it should be
possible for the application to query which backend has been selected -- or,
better -- to ask for specific features being present. At least, I've found
I'd need to know.

Luciano