Questions about future Phonon capabilities (AudioDataOutput)

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:02:54 GMT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 12:24 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:

> Like I was saying in #phonon, if you can make an QIoDevice (or some
> class like that) as the MediaSource. So your app could completely
> handle downloading the RadioParadise stream, could respond to pauses
> in an appropriate manner etc. There might be some gotchas in this
> approach, but it seems like it should work.

Thanks for the reply (and yours, Matthias).  Sorry I must have missed your
response in the channel between leaving home and getting to work.

That suggestion probably makes the most sense.  My understanding is that the
media source in phonon is really handled by one of the backends (like
gstreamer or whatever).  Is that correct, or does the backend only come into
play when handling output?
What I'm trying to say is, if I write my own media source, is it still
possible to make the application work cross platform without mucking about
in all the different backends?  For myself I only need linux compatibility,
but Windows would be nice to have for other users.

Thanks,
Leo