Questions about future Phonon capabilities (AudioDataOutput)

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Feb 7 20:24:33 GMT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:08 PM, Leo Spalteholz <leo.spalteholz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting a new project that I would really like to be based on phonon
> (in fact, if phonon can't do it I probably won't bother).
>
> So I'm planning a dedicated player for internet radio stations, specifically
> RadioParadise (because it's the best :).  I've never been satisfied with how
> general purpose players handle internet radio, and I have a ton of ideas for
> how the UI can be specifically optimized for that purpose.  That part is no
> problem, I've built a test app that plays the stream using phonon and
> delivers buffer status updates and metadata and such.
>
> However, one of the features I would really like to have and what would
> really make this better for internet radio is the ability to seamlessly
> pause and unpause streams.  Right now, in a player like amarok, if you're
> playing a stream and pause it for more than a few seconds, when you unpause
> the stream it will reconnect and start playing from the current position.
> What I want is for it to continue playing where you pressed pause.  So if
> you're listening to music and someone interrupts you, you can hit pause, and
> then 5 minutes later hit resume and it continues where you paused it.  While
> it was paused the app continues to stream and buffer (to memory or disk) the
> data.

Like I was saying in #phonon, if you can make an QIoDevice (or some
class like that) as the MediaSource. So your app could completely
handle downloading the RadioParadise stream, could respond to pauses
in an appropriate manner etc. There might be some gotchas in this
approach, but it seems like it should work.

Ian