Questions about future Phonon capabilities (AudioDataOutput)

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 19:08:48 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm starting a new project that I would really like to be based on phonon
(in fact, if phonon can't do it I probably won't bother).

So I'm planning a dedicated player for internet radio stations, specifically
RadioParadise (because it's the best :).  I've never been satisfied with how
general purpose players handle internet radio, and I have a ton of ideas for
how the UI can be specifically optimized for that purpose.  That part is no
problem, I've built a test app that plays the stream using phonon and
delivers buffer status updates and metadata and such.

However, one of the features I would really like to have and what would
really make this better for internet radio is the ability to seamlessly
pause and unpause streams.  Right now, in a player like amarok, if you're
playing a stream and pause it for more than a few seconds, when you unpause
the stream it will reconnect and start playing from the current position.
What I want is for it to continue playing where you pressed pause.  So if
you're listening to music and someone interrupts you, you can hit pause, and
then 5 minutes later hit resume and it continues where you paused it.  While
it was paused the app continues to stream and buffer (to memory or disk) the
data.

This doesn't seem to be possible with phonon in its current state.  I
suppose I need some sort of recording support, or at least access to the
AudioDataOutput class so that I can do the encoding myself.

So the question is (finally!):  What are the plans for AudioDataOutput
and/or recordning support in phonon?   Is it in the pipeline (perhaps
Trolltech?) or has that idea been abandoned?

Thanks for any information,
Leo