KMix and KEnvy24

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Mon Dec 29 23:34:20 GMT 2008

Am Freitag, 26. Dezember 2008 schrieb Valentin Rusu:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the maintainer of the new KDE4 application named kenvy24.
> This application is dedicated to ICE1712 chip based sound cards (for
> example 'Terratec DMX 6Fire' or 'M-Audio Audiophile 2496'). This chip
> has it's ALSA driver and it's configuration is quite special. It also
> has way more controls than simple "SoundBlaster" cards. Just take a look
> to this screenshot :
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/multimedia/kenvy24/doc/en/screenshot.png?view=markup

Hello Valentin,

could you please detail a bit more what is so special about that card?

The screenshot shows peak meters, which would be nice to integrate.

> What do you think about this ? What would be the preferred method ?
> Embedding KEnvy24 parts ?

What parts would you think about?

> How can I help to get KMix modified ?

The preferred solution would be to tune the GUI via the built-in GUI-Profile engine. KMix selects the Profile by looking at various aspects, as card name and soundcard driver version. You can define which controls to show by default, and define the order. See KDE4DIR/share/apps/kmix/profiles/ALSA.default.xml for the default GUI profile.

The profile also allows to place controls in a specific "Tab" (the name "Tab" doesn't neccesarily imply a TabBar - the current implementation just uses different boxes to group the controls). The "Tabs" can be ordered, and the type of Tab can be defined. For example a type "CrossFader" or a type "ICE1712" xould be defined, and a corresponding implementation of the correspoding View.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
  - Albert Einstein