Phonon, Qt and backends. Who creates the backends?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 9 10:21:00 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Jens Bache-Wiig wrote:
> > I'd be concerned if TT were to work on this in private simply to exercise
> > some faux sense of control as it would likely have an unnecessarily
> > negative impact on several people, both in KDE as well as in other groups
> > such as Fluendo.
>
> I'm sorry if I have given the wrong impression. The reason it is not
> public right now is that
> the code does not exist yet. As soon as we have something that is worthy
> of feedback it
> will be posted on labs where development will continue in the open.

That is indeed a nice clarification; thanks for that.

If the code is somewhere that people can follow development in real time, that
would be a great first step. Making it easy to contribute would be the next
hurdle to clear ... it would be great to avoid having another qt-copy
situation, where we have a fork that we periodically update with our own
bugfixes as they wait to march through the official Trolltech channels.

we'll also want to do some release coordination I imagine so that when KDE
ships tarballs with Phonon that we also manage to include these backends;
expecting OSVs to scramble around the net grabbing source from here and there
isn't a good solution IMO. i suppose we could use an svn extern in KDE's svn
for the repo (assuming you use svn and not git ;) but that comes with its own
set of annoyances ... if it is indeed exposed via labs.trolltech.com then
we'll want to coordinate on releases a bit; we don't need to sync release
schedules, we just need to be able to get at a known-stable tree at release
time (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc).

KDE using a distributed vcs would make this easier as well ...

anyways ... we can probably cross these bridges as we come to them. i look
forward to seeing the backends when they start to become available, and am
very happy that Trolltech is utilizing Phonon in this way ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se