KMix testing (KDE4) round #1

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sun Nov 4 19:00:08 GMT 2007

Am Sonntag, 4. November 2007 schrieb Matthias Kretz:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007, Christian Esken wrote:
> > after a long time of internal reworking, the KDE4 version of KMix in SVN is
> > pretty usable right now, with the exception of global shortcuts. So it's a
> > good time for running a check with your own hardware. I am pretty much
> > interested in any kind of result, be it good or bad.
>

> card1 shows two available Channels (Mic and Speaker), when enabled I get to
> see three sliders to control Mic Playback, Mic Capture and Speaker with mute
> toggle for Mic Playback and Speaker and Capture toggle for Mic Capture. The
> only thing that's not working is the Mic Capture slider (it cannot be moved)
> with a different mixer application I can move it and kmix updates the slider
> correctly then.

Thanks for the test. I coded it blindly without possibilty to test it. I just commited a possible fix. Could you please test again.

> I needed a bit of time to find my other channels that the soundcard provides.
> The Channels dialog should probably be reachable through the menu and not
> only the context menu.

This is theoretically not possible, because there *could* be more than one View to configure. Practically there is only one View, and I can see your point. Thus I have implemented that now.
If somebody writes his own XML GUI Profile for KMix (or downloads it) with more than one View, the additonal views can still be configured via context menu. If you right-click on a View, it is clear, which View is meant.

> Attached you'll find a screenshot of my HDA card with a few more channels
> enabled. I think the alignment of the two controls at the right needs to
> be "fixed" (just a minor visual thing, though).

Yes. I am aware of that. There are two possible solutions, and I have not yet decided which is the "correct" one.

> Is hotplugging of soundcards supposed to work with kmix now? Because it
> doesn't.

Open issue. Hotplugging is the most important feature for KMix in KDE4.0 (apart from the highest possible ALSA compatibility).

> Here's how to do it:
> connect(Solid::DeviceNotifier::instance(), SIGNAL(deviceAdded(QString)),
> SLOT(deviceAdded(QString)));
> connect(Solid::DeviceNotifier::instance(), SIGNAL(deviceRemoved(QString)),
> SLOT(deviceRemoved(QString)));

I know. Have you seen kmixd? :-)

kmixd was an idea to make a real daemon, but it will be dropped. The code from kmixdevicemanager.cpp will be merged back to KMix.

  Christian