FW: [Desktop_architects] Foundations of Open Media Software DeveloperMeeting

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Mon Oct 23 19:03:59 BST 2006

>> The first "Foundations of Open Media Software" Developer Meeting will
be
>> held on the Friday and Saturday before linux.conf.au 2007, one of the
>> world's most respected Linux and Open Source developer conferences.
>>
>> The FOMS meeting is organised by developers for developers, and aims
>> get the right people together to take the next steps in open media
>software.
>> Meet and discuss your plans for the next 12 months with other
developers
>> and forge relationships to unwind the kinks, making open media kick
ever
>> more arse.
>
>Uhm, they seem to have no agenda whatsoever and the deadline is in a
>week.  It's kind of hard to make a case for getting a group of people
>together a long way from everywhere with no better explanation than "to
>get the right people together to take the next steps".

Agenda-wise, from an OSDL perspective I am interested in developments
around multimedia infrastructure usable by independent software vendors
(which translates to standardized and available across distro's and
desktops) as well as ways to bridge in practical terms and in a globally
legal way the seemingly large ideological gap between free software and
support for patented media-formats.

I would also like to forward this mail from Jeff, that explains his
ideas for the meeting.

Cheers,
Waldo

[foms] Desktop Architects meeting format
Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Sep 12 01:22:58 UTC 2006