arts client example

Christian Schoenebeck schoenebeck at software-engineering.org
Mon Jan 9 22:39:38 GMT 2006

Am Montag, 9. Januar 2006 14:41 schrieb Arnold Krille:
> You know that aRts has a jack-output plugin?
>
> So you let your jackd run, tell aRts to connect to it and so you are set.

I knew that the KDE sound system supports JACK. Not sure if this works
directly with JACK or via aRts -> JACK. The problem currently is, that KDE's
JACK driver doesn't support the auto startup feature of JACK: Usually you
don't explicitly start jackd e.g. on bootup. Because you would have to decide
with which UID the jackd process runs. So that's not good for a multi user
environment. Instead you usually just place a .jackdrc file into the users
home directories which contains the command line used to automatically start
jackd when its actually needed. So if some application uses libjack and jackd
doesn't run yet, jackd will automatically be launched with the calling user's
UID.

If I try this with KDE (using the JACK driver), it will just tell me that the
sound server could not be started and will be turned off. If that worked, I
would have already switched completely to JACK. But that way I still use aRts
for the normal desktop multimedia stuff and manually switch to JACK when
making music.

> But don't let that stop you from building an arts-ouput for LS if you want
> to.

It certainly won't. :) I don't think it will be much work to write that driver
anyway.

> BTW: I like LS very much and used it over christmas as my piano running
> stable for over nine hours...

Hey, the world is small. :) Pleased to hear that you like it!

CU
Christian