Webcams, eye-candy and Phonon

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Thu Apr 27 22:45:12 BST 2006

Hi Christian,

> Working on GStreamer I thought I should chime in on this. GStreamer would
> support such video effects quite well and there already are a series of
> video effect plugins in GStreamer, most of them ported from the effectv
> project - http://effectv.sourceforge.net/
>
> There is/was a GStreamer based project doing motion tracking and similar,
> the results of which you can see here:
> http://iterative.org/echo/

Thanks. I'll pass the information to the Logitech developers and I'll try to
keep you informed.

> GStreamer is LGPL so some of these effects/plugins being properietary
> shouldn't be a problem, but be aware that if Logitech is hoping for these
> binaries to get bundled with distributions etc., this will probably not
> happen to a large extent as you then start getting crashes with the
> licensing of applications and libraries under the GPL.
>
> But I guess their wish is to offer this as a special download or bundling
> for Logitech customers and in that case it isn't a problem at all, since
> the GPL only covers distribution.

I'm not too sure how exactly they intend to distribute their products, but I
suppose they won't expect them to be bundled with distributions. After all,
they don't bundle their software with Windows either.

Laurent Pinchart