Arts and gcc4.x

me kev.gilbert at cdu.edu.au
Thu Sep 29 22:57:07 BST 2005

On Thu September 29 2005 16:32, you opined:
> > Is there anything being done regarding arts crashing when it is compiled
> > using gcc-4.0? I'm using Fedora Core 4 so regressing to a gcc3.x
> > compiler is not really an option. I have also tried the latest compiler
> > via CVS (gcc4.1.0) and I am still experiencing problems.
>
> Latest "stable" release is gcc 4.0.1, 4.0.2 in CVS. It is not 4.1.0 which
> is a development branch

I should have said that the reason for the CVS compiler is that the gcc that
is packaged with FC4 [(GCC) 4.0.1 20050727 (Red Hat 4.0.1-5)] also has
problems.

> The Debian package is now compiled with gcc4 on i386 and ppc and works well
> on my boxes. Maybe you use too aggressive optimization flags ?

I use "./configure --prefix <path>" and no CxxFLAGS so all I get is the
standard optimisation. This has worked for me for the past few years.

Having said that, I'll try various combinations of optimisation flags to see
if that makes a difference.

Thx for the hint.

Kevin