KDE multimedia programming newbie desorientation

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sat Sep 10 13:31:36 BST 2005

Am Samstag, 10. September 2005 13:59 schrieb Daniel Gruen:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to KDE programming and currently working on a small sound
> applet. Up to this day I'm using simple KPlayObjects as aRts-wrappers
> to keep all the difficult stuff away from me, but that now does not
> seem to suffice my needs (volume, balance & time control) any more.

As far as I know, there are no volume and balance controls in the simple KDE3
MM API. You could change to low-level API's like ARTS, but  this is
discouraged.

Volume and balance controls will be there in KDE4. My plan is to post
discussion results from aKademy 2005 on this list in the next two weeks.

I just wonder what you mean with time control - probably "start the media at a
certain time". I am pretty sure this will also be in KDE4. Matthias should be
able to comment on this.

> So where do I go from here? I must say I am confused by all that is
> being said about gstreamer, kdemm, aRts et cetera. Is it a sensible
> decision to wait for a more intuitive kdemm wrapper? If so, is there
> any development snapshot that could be used for learning & testing or
> (even better) some sort of manual / tutorial? And if not so, what
> should I do?

It depends on your time frame. Please be aware that KDE4 MM will change
immensly, providing a very nice API. So if you want a nice API, you should
wait a bit for the KDE4 stuff. I estimate one or two months until the KDE4
branch starts to get usable. A timeframe cannot be guaranteed, though.

   Christian

--
Is UNIX ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org
KDE Developer: esken at kde.org