KDE multimedia programming newbie desorientation

Daniel Gruen daniel_gruen at web.de
Sat Sep 10 12:59:40 BST 2005

Hi!

I'm new to KDE programming and currently working on a small sound
applet. Up to this day I'm using simple KPlayObjects as aRts-wrappers
to keep all the difficult stuff away from me, but that now does not
seem to suffice my needs (volume, balance & time control) any more.

So where do I go from here? I must say I am confused by all that is
being said about gstreamer, kdemm, aRts et cetera. Is it a sensible
decision to wait for a more intuitive kdemm wrapper? If so, is there
any development snapshot that could be used for learning & testing or
(even better) some sort of manual / tutorial? And if not so, what
should I do?

Daniel Gruen