amaroK unstable

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Fri Sep 2 07:14:09 BST 2005

Hi!
  Recent versions of amaroK from SVN seem to have some problems with large
collections (my one has currently 6352 entries).
  When amaroK is started, it writes "Loading playlist" (probably, it's written
in my language). This phase seems very suboptimal. The playlist window is
being repeatedly redrawn really many times (at least 30x but maybe more), but
with the same contents, so it only flickers. The slider frenetically jumps up
and down (but the contents of the window doesn't change). This phase lasts
about 10 seconds long and amaroK very often crashes during it. It simply
disappears and doesn't give neither the standard crash dialog, nor the
crash-mail window.
  This behaviour is truly random. It sometimes crashes, sometimes not.
Sometimes it just freezes and has to be killed. The probability that amaroK
survives is no more than 50%. Maybe the address space randomization, present
in latest kernels, causes this randomness ?
  Another weak moment is when the first song is to be played. The same as above
applies. AmaroK sometimes crashes, sometimes freezes, sometimes starts to play.
  When these two points are successfully passed over, the rest of amaroK
operation seems to be much more stable. Crashes are very rare then.
  When I delete all the playlist and install just a small one (5 - 10 CDs),
these problems are substantially reduced. AmaroK starts almost instantly and
doesn't crash.
  I'm a big amaroK fan and I wish You, all its developers, to fix all these
problems soon!
                     With regards, Pavel Troller