Sound and Multi-user

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Fri Nov 18 19:33:13 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 18. November 2005 20:14 schrieb Carl:
> I'm glad you brought this up.  Yes, it is possible as stated before by the
> other replies.  However, when you do this, if you are playing something on
> one session and then switch to another session, the sound for the first
> session will keep coming through.  I wanted to propose that with KDEMM
> sound not go through if the VT it is associated with is not active.  So if
> the first session is playing sound, when a new session is started or
> switched to, the sound for the first session stops being heard and the
> sound for the new session goes through.  This is possible, yes?

This would mean, I can "kill" other users multimedia applications by logging
in. I don't think this is desirable.

It is theoretically possible (even today). For example today amarok has a DCOP
interface. You should be able to authenticate yourself to the DCOP session on
the "old" VT, and then issue DCOP calls. This should theoretically also be
possible with  some kind of KDEMM.
I have never tried it, and don't know whether it is really this easy. And I
won't answer questions or speculate how this is possible, becuase this
discussion would rather lead to a lengthy IPC/Security discussion.

   Chris