make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Mar 24 14:50:50 GMT 2005

Just commenting on the battle-mixer-example:

On Thursday 24 March 2005 00:28, Thomas Wilczek wrote:
> one example (or use case - for those sw engineering dudes):
> one could setup a nice "dual player + battle mixer" combo for the casual
> dj... ;) so, what would such an "installation" require:
> mixer: 5-band eq and a simple fader for each channel, then a x-fader with
> selectable inputs combined with a trigger for automatic fades when reaching
> "end-of-input" on one of the active channels.

With five-band-eq you are in the high-range of mixers. Most have three bands.
And I think the most DJ's don`t use them. since they are not for adopting the
sound to the room (this is the job of the clubowner or his technician...).

> player(s): first of all some eye candy :P - fft analyzer, scope, etc. maybe
> a beat counter in combination with pitch and tempo. i'll leave out those
> basic parts like seek and play controls. a generic playlist would be nice,
> too.

You will be amazed how less eye-candy you need. What information do you get
from a fft analyzer? Just a graphical representation of what you hear (or
should hear, if you don`t, learn to). It just eats cpu-cycles you could use
for effects and decoding and realtime-reactions. Same goes for scopes...
Beat detection is nice to have but with usable controls of pitch and tempo
most DJ`s won't use it...

The ones really "using" these things are the ones coming from Winamp, not the
(semi-)professional ones...

So don't focus to much on the music<->graphical presentation relationship.

> p.s.: and don't get me started about those vj setups - could be even more
> fun ;)

Thats where these analyzers could become handy, but these one use pd or
something like that with their own analyzer-modules...

Just my 0.02€,

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---