RFC: Refactor CD player logic from kscd

Shaheed srhaque at iee.org
Wed Mar 23 03:06:18 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 14:03, Richard Lärkäng wrote:
> Do you think it could be used by kaudiocreator too? I don't know where it
> should be placed if it is though.

To be quite honest, I'm not at all sure what should happen with kaudiocreator.
I observe:

1. It is incredibly slow. It seems to copy the data from CD to disk before
reading back from disk, encoding and writing back to disk.

2. I'm no expect on the tools it uses to do its work, but AFAICS, some of them
at least can do the whole thing in one pass. Even if they cannot, at a
minimum, it should read the data from the CD and send it to the encoding tool
without the extra disk writes and reads.

3. I wonder if media:/ can somehow replace the whole thing. In theory,
configure the settings in kcontrol, and kaudiocreator just turns into a file
copy-n-tag utility?

> But I'm afraid the commit introduced some regressions. It doesn't seem to
> respect the digital playback setting. Is the attached patch OK?

As I feared too :-). I will look at the patches, the issues you mention here,
and also the CDDB lookup loop.

BTW, if you get a moment, I would appreicate someone to sanity check the
discChanged signal emitted by kaudiocreator. It is connected to the
discChanged slot in kscd, and though I know very well that signals are
synchronous, putting kdDebug()'s before, in, and after the signal often seems
to show that the slot is not invoked! !!$&*!! Even though the
before-and-after mesages are printed. (Hence the "hack" to call this routine
from trackUpdate()).

> Also, when starting kscd with no disc in, it crashes for me. I've attached
> the backtrace.
>
> And when a disc is played and you change to another one, it doesn't clear
> the track-list while it's empty.

Thanks, Shaheed