make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Michael Donaghy mdonaghy at cwazy.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 16:55:46 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 Mar 2005 05:09, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 05:14, Ryan Gammon wrote:
> > Communication would be along the lines of:
> > openUrl("http://www.someurl.com")
>
> btw, i really wish that fetching the data was separted from playing it. it
> SUCKS having great access to all sorts of remote media via KIO but not
> being able to easily use those mplayer, helix, etc... perhaps if FD.o gets
> a proper VFS server so it's desktop agnostic and can be used by both
> desktops, but i'm not overly optimistic at the moment about it given other
> FD.o original software efforts. =/
>
> it would be _awesome_ if the stack went something like:
>
> 	GUI: stop, start, play, seek

> 	Player: decodes, actually plays
> 			^
>

> 	KIO/VFS: provides the raw bytes
>
> with all three being tied together through simple interfaces.

Well, how are you going to get the fetching done? There's only really two
choices, either the gui somehow grabs them and passes them through to the
player, or the gui passes the url and leaves it up to the player to get them.
So until we get a standardised VFS as you say, I think letting the player
handle opening the file is as good as anything. Forcing the frontend to do
all the reading will result in a lot of unnecessary IPC:
kio->frontend->engine is twice as much as kio->engine.