make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 10:29:02 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 11:13, Marco Lohse wrote:
> So, if network transparent audio/video is important for KDE, you might
> want to consider these options.

Yes, I do like to have it. But I don't think we can put that into an
abstraction that works with more than only NMM as backend. But what I'm
thinking is to put the functionality in the NMM backend and provide an IPC
interface so that we can write an KDE NMM tool - here's what I wrote down:

------------------------
How can we make use of all the cool NMM features when using kdemm and not
accessing NMM directly?

Proposal:
We create a "simple" tool for it:
When you start it you get a list of all available and accessible NMM services
on your network. You also get to see all kdemm applications and an indication
to which NMM service they send their audio and their video output. This can
be used to arbitrarily route audio and video to NMM services on the network.
You can also send audio and/or video to more than one service.

It could also provide for moving the complete session to a different computer.
This is a little more complicated with KDE apps using kdemm than with NMM
only apps. What needs to be done is to start the same KDE app on the other
computer (with kdemm configured to use NMM) and then use NMM to move the
complete flow graph.

kdemm needs to have all this code in the NMM backend accessible over IPC. The
NMM tool then only instructs the kdemm apps over IPC.

So if this works out, it would just be another option, if you route a/v to
another computer you could just automatically move the decoder, too. One
should be able to disable it in case the computer does not have enough CPU
power.

--
C'ya
        Matthias