make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Mon Mar 21 10:13:57 GMT 2005

Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2005 20:19, Marco Lohse wrote:
>
>>I just read your document and have one question:
>>
>>2.4. Domain constraints: if network transparent audio is important, what
>>about network transparent video?
>

> I took that as a given with most people already able to have the GUI (and
> therefore video) network transparent using X. I guess this does bring up the
> question of a/v sync over the network. So perhaps I should mention that
> explicitely.

Ok, you can use X/NX/FreeNX for having a network transparent GUI. You
could even have network transparent video that way. However, if your
source of media already includes compressed video (as in probably 99 %
of all cases), it is more efficient to transmit the original compressed
stream and decode it on the 'client-side', i.e. on the system that
should render the video. Otherwise, you need to transmit an uncompressed
video stream - and waste a lot of bandwidth, if the bandwidth is
available at all - or compress it again on the 'server-side' - and waste
a lot of CPU cycles. Similar arguments hold for compressed audio.

So, if network transparent audio/video is important for KDE, you might
want to consider these options.

Audio/video synchronization over the network is only important if you
want to render audio and video on different systems.

Have fun, Marco.