KSCD vs. XMMS

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Fri Jun 24 23:22:34 BST 2005

Dear friends:

Would appreciate your help in getting my CD to work. It seems to play in KSCD.
Everything shows it to be playing (progress bar), but there is no sound.
There is no problem with sound with my DVD or with my RealPlayer. But for
some reason KSCD won't actually play the audio.

If KSCD is buggy, perhaps XMMS will help. I have tried using XMMS but cannot
for the life of me figure out how to actually run it. When I click on Play,
it brings up the two panes of the directory and file dialogue box. I scroll
down to /dev/, then choose and highlight cdrom in the right pane. I then
click below on "Add all files in the directory". When I actually click on
"Add all files", XMMS freezes completely and I have to log out and log back
in.

What am I doing wrong, please? Of course, I would prefer to have KSCD play the
audio, but I am trying my best to find some player that will play the CD. The
CD plays fine in Windows (same CD, same drive, same computer), but not in
Linux. It's also the same drive used to install my Linux.

I use Scientific Linux, a derivative of RHEL 4.

I even tried another player (Apolos). It was a disaster. Any suggestions would
be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Benjamin
delphi123 at zebra.net