Discussion on FarSight

Rob Taylor robtaylor at floopily.org
Tue Jun 14 12:00:04 BST 2005

Looks interesting on a quick skim through. I'll have a good read
through, asap ;).

Good references for reading up on the gstreamer framework structure are:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/features/
and
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/index.html

The current kde gstreamer bindings can be found in kdenonbeta/gst. They
seem very complete to me, but need updating to the current api (and then
made to follow 0.9 development). Engin and I will be working on this.

The framework as it stands for 0.8 is a very nice architecture, but has
thread locking issues needs some extensions to its architecture for a
nice system to do out-of-stream data (such as is needed by protocols
like RTP/RTCP (my particular interest)). These issues are all fixed in
the 0.9 work which is now completed in the gstreamer core on CVS HEAD
(gst-plugins now need to be updated to the new schema). The new thread
locking work is spot on, as far as i can tell, with complete dogged
adherence to a locking order, and it's impressive to see in action ;)
( might be visible on stream [1] , but the camera placement sucked for
this recording.. :/ ) I should also point out that gstreamer is very
light in terms of overhead, and is already used in a few deeply embedded
systems.

well, that'll do for an intro for anyone not currently up to date with
gstreamer. Obviously I'd like to see KDE take gstreamer on, as managing
multimedia is an icky sticky task, and to my mind it'd be best if the
desktops can share the burden of making this work well. As it is we'll
be making some patches for kopete to allow it to do msn videoconf and
webcam via the farsight project [2] which intrinsically uses gstreamer,
hence how this discussion came up ;)

One part of a desktop framework i suspect we'd like to see for this is
unified multimedia device management. e.g. how does the app know that
the user has a webcam and a firewire video camera attached, and prefers
to use the webcam as video source for chatting, but the video camera for
a video source when he's doing non-linear editing, etc ;)

Thanks,
Rob Taylor

[1]
http://stream.fluendo.com/archive/6uadec/Wim_Taymans_-_GStreamer_0_10.ogg