GStreamer Qt Bindingss and Widget

Engin AYDOGAN engin at bzzzt.biz
Fri Jun 3 09:55:56 BST 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 11:35, Matthias Kretz wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand how farsight, kopete and gstreamer work together.
> Why does kopete need to use gst directly (or indirectly using those
> bindings) if farsight already does it? (I have to admit I did only look at
> the farsight homepage.)
At the beginning of the farsight project, I have been told to get gstreamer
working in our application to make use of farsight, at that time (2 months
ago) I've wrote this wrapper.

And, let me tell you a bit more about this. Farsight is using gstreamer
framework, farsight itself is not a complete solution. You still have to
connect devices to the farsight, like audio device so that you can hear
stuff, and video device so that you can watch the webcam streaming. In a
nutshell, we can say that farsight is just the blackbox of the system that
decodes/encodes webcam streams. We still have to use gstreamer components
connected to this black box to make somethning usefull.

> A binding of gstreamer to C++/Qt/KDE is of course usefull to a greater
> audience. Putting it in playgound/multimedia could be a good idea. But as
> soon as you start using it in kdenetwork it probably has to go to kdelibs
> or kdesupport (if it goes into kdesupport you need to do your own releases
> - which could be usefull for gst bindings).
My intentions are towards that direction. This should be in kdemultimedia, but
to achive such thing, this code should be reviewed by experienced KDE devs,
that's why I want to put it in playground, so that people can have a look at
it, and write their own video players ;)

--
Best regards,

Engin AYDOGAN