ARTS Migration Plan (brainstorming)

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sat Jul 30 13:20:21 BST 2005

Hello,

lets get the ARTS Migration discussion back to an objective level. Thus I have collected some data.

I tried to find out where we have explicit ARTS dependencies in KDE trunk applications.

cd /opt/SVN-checkout  # SVN trunk
find . -regex ".*[cc|cpp]"  -exec ~/greparts \{\}  \;   #  ~/greparts  basically does:   egrep '#include.*"arts.*h'

# Result (showing the affected "top level" directories only):
kdebase/kcontrol/arts/
kdelibs/arts/kde/
kdemultimedia/mpeglib/lib/output/
kdemultimedia/akode/arts_plugin/
kdemultimedia/krec/
kdemultimedia/juk/
kdemultimedia/noatun/library/noatunarts/
kdemultimedia/arts/
extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/engine/arts/          # Hint: I don't have the other extragear/* checked out

The modules kdegames, kdegraphics, kdenetwork, kdetoys, kdepim, kdeutils were not reported in my check. Thus very likely they don't use ARTS.

So here are the questions:
1) Who do use/support/rely on the "arts SVN module" as "DEFAULT sound solution" [because it works best, or have ]not been ported, ...].
  For exaple IIRC krec currently does work at all without arts.
2) Is there a timeframe for these applications (for the migration away from ARTS)
3) Are there prerequisites before migrating these applications away from ARTS?

 Chris
--
Is UNIX ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org
KDE Developer: esken at kde.org