aRts in trunk

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Fri Jul 29 21:56:02 BST 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 06:31, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > And no matter what KDE does, a pretty GUI can not hide applying kernel patches
> > and a design that is just not suitable for desktop usage.
>
> Thanks for being intelligent enough to point this out.  I hope that
> one day, the Linux kernel developers will take this suggestion as well. I
> have on numerous occasions said that Mixing belongs in the kernel.  Until
> then, every solution will be sub-par.

ALSA is proving to be a fine audio driver system and especially
so because it NOT part of the kernel. alsa-lib is a wonderful
design feature, not a flaw. Other inferior operating system have
no choice but to embed their audio handling systems into their
respective kernels.

> MacOS X does this, Windows XP does this (and has since '95 with
> directsound, if I understand correctly).  The only OSes that don't do it
> are ones that are designed from the ground up to not be desktop OSes,
> like Linux.

Is that a good justification for not getting the best out of what we
have to work with!

> There was a reason, Allan, that I didn't reply to this guy's first email,
> and you'll just end up replying to uninformed comments until the end of
> time...

http://www.steamballoon.com/wiki/Rlimits

--markc