aRts in trunk

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Jul 29 21:03:51 BST 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 21:46, Mark Constable wrote:
> Exactly, if it's a part of KDE it would get so much more exposure
> and focus that the setup difficulties would dealt with. That's what
> using KDE is all about, hiding the ugly stuff from users.

We can't do that. Last time I checked jack only worked on linux, and required
a custom kernel patch applied to get the real-time privileges it needs to not
drop out _all_ the time.

The design is basically flawed for desktop audio since it delegates real-time
low-latency work loads through unix pipes to the audio applications. You
cannot expect all audio applications to run real-time and you can not expect
users to apply custom patches that allow jack to hand out real-time
privileges.

And no matter what KDE does, a pretty GUI can not hide applying kernel patches
and a design that is just not suitable for desktop usage.

`Allan