KMix and emu10k1 / Audigy : Patch-Testers needed

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sat Dec 24 01:39:53 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2005 01:49 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2005 19:44, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 December 2005 19:32, Christian Esken wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'd like to fix one of KMix's biggest shortcomings, and that is the
> > > suboptimal handling of "emu10k1" chipset based soundcards. Most
> > > notably, Audigy/Audigy2 cards seem to be affected.
> >
> > I have an emu10k1 but it is an SB Live so kmix works fine.  I will test
> > the patch and try and make sure nothing blows up though.
>
> Patch doesn't seem to break anything (and indeed, I think there may be a
> few more capture devices now).

Thats a good sign. :-)

> BTW, I just noticed that the popup volume slider from the applet doesn't
> actually change my volume.  I assume that is because my second sound-card
> is the one that's actually playing back.  Is there a way to change which
> master volume is adjusted from the system tray?

Yes. Just right-click the tray icon and you should something like "Select
master channel ...".

There are two drawbacks.
1) KMix fails to restore the setting on one soundcard family (Audigy2 IIRC).
2) And it looks like a last-minute bugfix was done for KDE3.5, which makes
changing the master behave strangly (e.g. no immediate update/repaint of the
tray icon status).

  Christian