Arts crash in KDE 3.5

Craig Howard kde at choward.ca
Mon Aug 22 16:24:35 BST 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 18:53, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2005 10:18, Craig Howard wrote:
> > I've got arts built using kdesvn-build (branch 1.5, I verified this with
> > a svn info).  Upon KDE startup, arts crashes with the following
> > backtrace. Trying to run artsd from the command line fails too.
>
> Have you recently upgraded gcc or libstdc++?  I've actually experienced
> this exact same error, and it was caused by an upgrade from gcc 4.0.1 to
> 4.1.0 beta.  I've since downgraded as it is too much hassle.

Yeah, I'm going through the debian gcc transition at the moment.  It's funny
though, since arts/qt/kde were all built from scratch using kdesvn-build and
the same gcc.  Ah well, arts 1.4.2 is in debian now, so I'm just running
that.  Arts development doesn't happen too quickly, so there's not much point
in following svn for it.

> You would hope the gcc guys would make one release, just one, that was
> actually backwards compatible (not just the ABI), but apparently that's too
> much to ask. ;)

Actually, I'd rather that they fixed _all_ the bugs in the ABI in one shot so
they'd never have to change it again, but that's _definately_ too much to
ask.  ;-)
--

Craig Howard