better cd identification engine with cover art and extra attributes

Richard Lärkäng nouseforaname at home.se
Thu Aug 11 21:30:25 BST 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 19.45, johan kdks wrote:
> It seems all the rippers use freedb for the recognition.  But freedb
> doesn't include many extended attributes (like Composer, Studio, etc.) or
> cover art and it's not always accurate.
>
> My friend just installed Plutohome.org, an open source Linux media project.
>  Whenever he inserts a CD, it recognizes the disc, displays the cover art,
> along with all the detailed attributes, like a Windows XP Media Center
> does.  It also seems to cache this locally since the next time he puts the
> disc in the recognition is instant; first time there's a 2 second delay or
> so.  Can this identification engine be used instead of freedb?  Or do you
> already use it?
>
> Thanks

I'm planning to add support for MusicBrainz in addition to freedb in libkcddb
for KDE 4.0. And if I understand it correctly, I think it should be possible
to get cover art through Amazon with the help of MusicBrainz.

I haven't taken a closer look at MusicBrainz yet, but when I do, I'll have
that in mind.

/Richard Lärkäng