New multimedia architecture and accessibility/TTS requirements

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Apr 29 00:00:42 BST 2005

Hi,

short comment:

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 19:00, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> Note that accessibility imposes some special requirements that aren't needed
> for typical audio applications.  Specifically, I call your attention to
> section "2.3 Real-time audio output" below and note that my experience with
> GStreamer 0.8.7 does not meet the requirement.  Also, I have asked for the
> following requirement to be added to section 2.3:
>
> --
> Add section 2.3.4. MUST HAVE: Applications must be able to tell audio
> framework to pause (and resume) or stop (and discard) audio playback.
> Playback pauses or stops immediately.
> --
>
> In my experience, GStreamer can take up to a second to stop playback.

A second is a lot; it probably depends on which application you use;
Totem (ok, it's a GNOME app, so what) is instant in most cases. Also, it
depends on the media format (that's an implementation bug). Our matroska
demuxer, for example, is a big offender here.

That said, yes, we're aware of some issues in this area and they're on
my list. If they're important for a specific project or subproject that
we especially care about for some reason, we can raise priority.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>