Sound framework

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sat Apr 9 13:43:30 BST 2005

Am Montag, 4. April 2005 18:20 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not doing much multimedia development, but I maintain a small game for
> KDE, which requires loopable, pitchable sound samples, and hence requires a
> little more than the high-level interfaces to playing sounds.
> Currently I am once again looking into possibilities to rework the sound code
> in this game, but at the moment, I'm a little lost trying to figure out, what
> to look at. From what I gather, it seems like KDE4 will not rely on arts. But
> I have not been able to figure out, whether a different sound architecture
> has already been decided on, or whether there will even be _one_ architecture

No, there is no decision yet.

> that KDE applications will use for sound output (gstreamer seems to be a
> candidate, but I can't seem to find anything definite). Further,
> multimedia.kde.org still mentions arts as the base of KDE sound, with the
> links to arts and documentation broken by now.

Arts is still the base of KDE sound (as of KDE3.4), but applications are slowly moving away.

Actually I don't know why the ARTS documentation is offline. Anybody else ??!
If the documentation does not comeback, the ARTS link on http://www.kde.org/areas/multimedia/ should be changed from http://www.arts-project.org/doc/manual/ to http://www.arts-project.org/ . Is ther somenbody who can do this?

> So what exactly is the state of discussion, which path will KDE sound go in
> the mid/long term? Could you point me to the relevant threads and maybe also
> update the information on multimedia.kde.org?

Please look for the following threads to get a start:

summary of the aKademy meetings

KDE4 MM, a view from usability and general applicaiton development

survey: KDE Multimedia API (or framework)

multimedia.kde.org won't be updated as there is no consensus or fully-working code yet. You need to be patient here.

Chris

--
Is UNIX ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org
KDE Developer: esken at kde.org