Sound framework

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Apr 4 17:20:30 BST 2005

Hi all,

I'm not doing much multimedia development, but I maintain a small game for
KDE, which requires loopable, pitchable sound samples, and hence requires a
little more than the high-level interfaces to playing sounds.
Currently I am once again looking into possibilities to rework the sound code
in this game, but at the moment, I'm a little lost trying to figure out, what
to look at. From what I gather, it seems like KDE4 will not rely on arts. But
I have not been able to figure out, whether a different sound architecture
has already been decided on, or whether there will even be _one_ architecture
that KDE applications will use for sound output (gstreamer seems to be a
candidate, but I can't seem to find anything definite). Further,
multimedia.kde.org still mentions arts as the base of KDE sound, with the
links to arts and documentation broken by now.
So what exactly is the state of discussion, which path will KDE sound go in
the mid/long term? Could you point me to the relevant threads and maybe also
update the information on multimedia.kde.org?

Thanks!
Thomas