Vote for a MM system (Was: Re: summary of the aKademy meetings)

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Sun Sep 12 08:50:30 BST 2004

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>On Fri, 10.09.04 17:15, Marco Lohse (mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de) wrote:
>

>>... at least for NMM, this problem (inter-stream synchronization of
>>audio/video) is solved (with the help of NTP):
>>http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/NMM/News/Events/CeBIT2004/index.html
>>

>How do you assure to have a common time source?

As basis, we use NTP, the network time protocol.

>I can add something like this to polypaudio as well.

Having some sort of global time is just a starting point for
inter-stream synchronization. And using NTP, this is rather easy to achieve.

However, for doing distributed synchronization, there a lot of other
issues that have to be resolved: different paths in your multimedia data
flow graph have different and varying latencies, different output
devices have different latencies, ..., finally, you also need a way to
'speak' with distributed parts of your application.

If you are interested in how distributed synchronization is realized
within NMM, feel free to take a look at our documentation:
http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/NMM/Docs/index.html

Have fun, Marco.