Vote for a MM system (Was: Re: summary of the aKademy meetings)

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Thu Sep 9 21:06:12 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 15:35, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
 > On Thursday 09 September 2004 02:09, Christian Esken wrote:
> > Thus my vote will go to a MM API, that supports a MM backend system that
> > fulfills all of the following properties: a) Can NOW play audio and video
> > b) Is quite stable (running and API-wise)
> > c) Is available NOW
> > d) Is available NOW on multiple Operating Systems (at least Linux, Solaris,
> > *BSD [preferably FreeBSD] ). e) Is NOW maintained by a large developer base
> > f) has an OpenSource license
> > g) has an open development mentality (stuff like "open" development lists,
> > "open" bug system, ...)
> >

> You sound exactly like that NMM guy that listed things they did well as the
> base requirements..

Well, I don't have any sound system at all running on my main computer (arts does not work at all),
and I am not affiliated to any sound system development. I feel in fact quite neutral in terms of which
MM backend KDE will chose.

And I am really aware that stating 7 points as very important is much. But, what would you say:
Which of my stated requirements are not important for a KDE MM backend?
Which important thing have I forgotten?

> Sorry if you want to the equivalent of X for audio, you need
> network-transparency and esd or the polypaudio servers just doesnt cut it.
> Without proper synchonization, they are both silly playthings.

Well, that would be nice. But we could start with a simpler thing.
Also X did not start with X11, there was X10, X9, ..., X1.
And no ... I don't want to revive XAudio. ;-)

Also there are MM backends that are already network capable:
MAS and NMM.
GStreamer is not.
But I would not put too much pressure on the network capabilities at this point of time.
Just look at those Operting Systems with high-end Audio Applications - the Mac and Win stuff. How much network-audio is built in there?

Medium-term we definitely want audio-networking - because it is cool and has many nice uses.

Chris