Proposal: libunixmm.so (about the Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM)

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Thu Sep 9 22:02:38 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 22:08, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > - It can be asked whether certain access is possible
> >       e.g.: Can i currently record PCM on device#1 ?
> > - It can be asked to grant those accesses
> >       e.g.: Grant me the possibilitly to record PCM. (This call could return with "granted" or "not granted - full-duplex cannot be set" ).
>
> Instead of having such a complicated API, why not use a simple DBUS
> interface for synchronizing access to the sound devices? i.e. before
> accessing the audio device an application issues a special DBUS
> command 'request_device("oss", "/dev/dsp")'. If nobody responds, the

I don't care for the exact implementation detail. But what we will
need (medium-term) is more precise information:

"I need /dev/dsp" is a very hard constraint, as this is often an exclusive ressource and cannot be granted often.

Somthing like "playback capability" can be granted much more easily, as the multimedia backend can do mixing (via soundserver, dmix, HW capabilities).

But this is the far far in the future - we are currently stuck at a much more trivial level.

Chris