KAudioCreator problems after 3.3 upgrade

Stephen F. Booth sfbooth at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 16:36:36 BST 2004

I'm running Suse 9.1 and since upgrading to KDE 3.3 yesterday I am no longer
able to encode mp3s using KAudioCreator (it has worked fine for several
months using 3.2.x).  The behavior is strange: KAudioCreator takes a long
time (approx. 10 seconds or more) to read the disc and pull up the CDDB info.
Then, the drive spools up and down continuously to the point that the whole
system slows down (sluggish response).  This is in contrast to the behavior
of the previous version where after reading the disc's info the drive was
idle.  If I try to rip a track, it never actually starts; after 10-15 seconds
the track shows up in the queue but nothing happens.  This behavior has
happened with 5 or more CDs, so I don't suspect a faulty disc.  Also, I am
able to rip+encode the same discs using grip and play them using KsCD so I
feel that the drive and KDE libraries are installed correctly.  Has anyone
seen or heard of a similar problem?

Stephen