Proposal: libunixmm.so (about the Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM)

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Sep 9 09:12:26 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 9:12, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 01:14, Christian Esken wrote:
> [..]
>
> Nobody will use it. Face it. Xine won't, mplayer won't, XMMS definately
> won't and thus the problem doesn't disappear. You just propose a new
> extra layer that's supposed to solve an unsolvable problem and adds new
> problems because of the fact that it *is* a layer.
>
> We can solve the issue for as far as our power reaches. We (GNOME and
> KDE together) can try to work on a shared path towards one sound server
> in GNOME 3 and KDE 4, and we can try to work on general media support
> together. But that's it. You can't go further, and it's a waste of time
> and effort to try.

Well, and in fact I think that these guys are probably more likely to follow
what we do rather than to agree to another library from us.  Specifically I
think we could probably both work together to figure out a default
soundserver for both desktops and Freedesktop.org-ize that.  Since there
aren't any soundservers that are really closely connected with either desktop
project I think we could probably do such in a reasonable fashion.

-Scott