KDE4 MM, a view from usability and general applicaiton development

Arnold Krille kde at arnoldarts.de
Wed Sep 8 13:20:53 BST 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 09:19, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
> This is not true, the GStreamer pipeline was designed taking real-time
> concerns into special consideration (pipeline introduce no overhead in
> itself) as the original author (Erik Walthinsen) main goal was to use it
> in a real-time application he was making.

So, if GStreamer is that good with realtime, you have a big promotional
problem, since almost every professional audio user uses Jack and Ardour for
recording multitrack.
Can GStreamer do 5ms latency? With a desktop running in the back? With a
full-featured desktop like kde in the back?
If the answer is yes, then you probably don't have all the decoding and
video-to-sound-synchronising features kde needs...

I am not against GStreamer, I am all for it being supported. I just want to
say that professional audio and a framework suitable for normal desktop usage
are different pairs of shoes.

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de