summary of the aKademy meetings

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 11:06:05 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 11:25, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> How detailed will the interface be? Will it limit itself to the lowest
> common denominator? Or will it implement backend-specific bits? Some
> examples: a mixer interface for audio outputs? Tagging? Network setup?
> Below, you mention that you would like to have a recommended low-level
> API (supposedly a backend), will the interface provide access to the
> objects required to interact with the lower-level API directly (of
> course all this under if (low_level_api == what_i_expect) { ... })? Or
> is it either one or the other?

I think I covered most of this later in the post.  The rest you can see here:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kdemm/Attic/

> Will KDE follow freedesktop.org recommendations if those are provided,
> or will it choose its own?

I can't imagine us choosing a MM framework based on Freedesktop
recommendations honestly.  Especially since this was one of the things that I
specifically noted wouldn't affect KDE when I supported GStreamer being moved
over to FD.o on the XDG list.

While I support GStreamer, I support standardization following technology, not
the other way around.

-Scott