summary of the aKademy meetings

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Sep 6 10:25:42 BST 2004

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the summary. Some questions (not specifically for you, but
more for discussion):

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 04:20, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> *) We'll have a simple, abstract player interface that can handle audio or
> video and is not tied to a specific backend.  This interface will support
> most of the common cases that application developers need.

How detailed will the interface be? Will it limit itself to the lowest
common denominator? Or will it implement backend-specific bits? Some
examples: a mixer interface for audio outputs? Tagging? Network setup?
Below, you mention that you would like to have a recommended low-level
API (supposedly a backend), will the interface provide access to the
objects required to interact with the lower-level API directly (of
course all this under if (low_level_api == what_i_expect) { ... })? Or
is it either one or the other?

> *) At some point there will most likely be a (not particularly strong)
> recommendation for a default sound server; however as the abstraction at that
> layer will be handled by the backends this doesn't presently have a
> significant influence on our development so we're not in much of a hurry to
> make such a decision.

Will KDE follow freedesktop.org recommendations if those are provided,
or will it choose its own?

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>